Monday, October 25, 2010

Santa Claus

So I know some people are going to really not agree with me here (Shelli) but I don't like telling my kids that there is a guy named Santa Claus.  It has bothered me ever since the oldest ones were small. I just don't know what the guy adds to Christmas.  I think Christmas can be fun and exciting without him.  I admit I was super excited about him coming when I was younger.  But I am starting to think that it was mostly just the presents I was excited about and that the delivery method wasn't that important.  I don't know for sure, but I think that had I known the presents came from my parents, I still would have been excited.  I may have even been more amazed come Christmas morning.  I mean we lived a pretty poor childhood (as far as money goes; I suppose you could say it was rich in other ways), but somehow on Christmas my mom always seemed to pull off the biggest feats of magic.  We always got what we asked for.  Or at least a reasonable part of what we asked for.  The main thing we wanted was always there.  We may have had to wear shoes with holes in them and get all our clothes from thoughtful neighbors because there was no money, but somehow on Christmas my mom always came through.  And Santa Claus got all the credit.  And she loved it that way.  But I just don't get it.  I don't mean to say she should have wanted to hog the glory for those wonderful Christmas mornings, but I think I would have been even more amazed if I had known it came from her.  And Christmas would have seemed even more magical.  I think one of the main reasons I believed in Santa for so long was because we were so poor all the time and I knew there was no way my parents could have given me what I got for Christmas.  And that never let me fully appreciate what I got for Christmas.  I was generally excited about what I got, but if something broke, it was no big deal.  I mean, it wasn't like someone had to pay for it.  Some fat man and his elves could just make up another one with their magic supplies of natural resources and callused hands.

Santa Claus was a big part our life when I was a kid.  I mean my brother Adam wanted to be Santa when he grew up for much longer than most kids play with that idea.  And my mom just loved the idea of Santa Claus.  She would go out of her way to prove to us year after year that he was real.  She would make up elaborate yet somehow believable stories to convince us if we ever started to doubt.  We would try to put our letters to Santa in the mailbox without her knowing so that if we got what we asked for we would know once and for all that he existed.  And somehow she would always manage to get them out of the mailbox before the mailman got there.  She must have checked the mailbox every morning the whole month of December.  And she wrote back to us sometimes.  Posing as Santa Claus of course.  So I was convinced.  Did I get made fun of in school because of my continuing belief long after my classmates had stopped believing? Yes.  Yes I did.  But you know, I am a person of faith, and a Mormon at that, and I was used to believing in things that other people thought were silly, so their ridicule never bothered me.  All I ever really thought was, "you people of little faith, how can you be so unbelieving?"

I simply believed, and the one thing that clinched it all for me was that my mother told me it was true.  And because she said it was true, I believed it.  I believed pretty much everything she told me.  How was I supposed to know that she would mix truth and lies together in that same convincing voice.  I never suspected.  And to be perfectly honest, when I finally found out the truth, I was devastated.  I didn't break down crying or anything - because I was almost 13 years old at the time and by then I was way past the tearful stage - but it hurt.  I was reeling inside.  I didn't know what I could believe anymore.  It wasn't finding out that Santa Claus wasn't real that hurt, it was finding out that I no longer knew what I could believe.  I mean if this thing that my mother had spent so much time convincing me was true wasn't true, what was? What other things had my mother told me were true that were mere fabrications for her and my amusement?  I questioned everything she had ever told me.  I even questioned my faith in God, though by then I had received enough witnesses of His existence to know that questioning my faith in God wasn't necessary.

So I think, is that really what I want my kids to look back and remember?  If I tell my kids something, I want them to know it is what I believe and never have to doubt it.  They may not believe the same things as me all the time, but I don't want them wondering if I really believe the things I tell them to believe in. 

I suppose my experience with the fat man has negatively affected me and my desire to pass this "fun" tradition on to my kids.  I think there could be a happy medium between what I experienced and the other extreme of never mentioning the man to my kids.  And that is what I have tried to achieve with the kids so far.  But I fear I may have erred on the side of keeping the tradition in mind instead of keeping the truth in mind.  I have told them about Santa and that he is watching and that it was his reindeer that ate those carrots we left out.  But on the other hand when asked directly if he is real,  I usually dodge the question and say something like, "well what do you think?" 

So anyway, what does Santa Claus have to do with Christmas?  I mean, some might say he represents the spirit of Christmas or the love of children or the spirit of thoughtless giving or some other thing like that.  I don't agree.  I mean if Christmas needs some guy to represent the spirit of the season or the love of children or the spirit of thoughtless giving, why do we need someone other than Christ to fill that role? Do we really need some jolly old saint?  Sure, I think in certain doses, he might add a little zing, but for the most part I think he just distracts from what Christmas is all about.

So a few weeks ago Lila and Zoe and I were hanging out and they asked me if there really was Santa Claus and I said no.  They were somewhat surprised, I think, that I would answer so directly but it felt so good to say it.  I had been wanting to say it for years.  The kids were a bit unsure of what to think.  Zoe asked, "well who brings all those presents then?"  I told her it was me.  That I was Santa Claus.  They were really skeptical.  Lila said, "I don't believe it. How could you be Santa Claus?  There is no way you could deliver all those presents to all those kids in one night."  It is hard to argue with that kind of logic.  But I explained that I was only Santa to my own kids and that everyone else's parents were their Santa.  So after talking about it for awhile I thought it was pretty clear.  But I was wrong.  A week or two later they brought it up again and were talking about how Santa could bring then anything they wanted.  And I was being a stinker and said that I would only bring them what I wanted them to have. And they both looked confused and one of them said, "but I thought you said you weren't Santa Claus."  Now it was my turn to look confused.  I just don't know where the confusion came in.  How could I have been more clear than, "Santa Claus is not real.  I bring you the presents."?  But apparently after our conversation they had had their own conversation and decided I was just messing with them.  So I had to assure them one more time that it was me.  So I think they now know that there is no Santa Claus.  And I hope they let the other smaller kids know about soon too.  Leisel won't be hard to convince.  Last year she told me that she didn't believe and that she thought it was me.  She is a smart girl.

I have told my kids to not mention it to others outside of our family and to definitely not make fun of anyone else that still believes, so hopefully that will happen.  But if you haven't told your own kids, this year is a good one to do it in.  May as well get it over with and stop all the deception.  Let's find out how fun Christmas can really be without all the lies.  That is what I am hoping will happen anyway.  I guess I have either ruined it for them for the rest of their childhood or not.  But I don't think I have.  I am convinced they will still enjoy Christmas without Santa.  I guess I will know in a couple months.

7 comments:

Shelli said...

Thanks for the shout out.

I am sitting here wondering what to write to you since you practically begged a comment from me! Here's my thought.

I love the magic that comes from Christmas and believing in things that seem like they have no other way to happen than with magic. I still think of Christmas as magical. I think mom was amazing every single year.

I think kids have this little tiny voice inside of them that says that Santa can't be real, but they push that thought away because it is more fun to believe than not to believe. I think Santa gives parents a chance to be child-like and pretend to extend that "magical" feeling.

I, like you, I don't want my kids to believe as hard as we believed. I want them to hold onto the magic of it though.

I am not ready to tell my kids- they haven't asked and that tells me they aren't ready to know. I don't fabricate and make up big stories of how it all happens, but I do put glitter on the windowsill each time a tooth is lost and I leave leprechaun clues around the house every St. Patricks Day with prizes and treats at the end of the hunt, so I do perpetuate the "lie". My kids love it. They are excited. It's fun. They have such a long time to have no magic in their life that I want to allow them to have it while they can.

Shelli said...

PS- Please tell your kids one more time to keep that secret to themselves.

Colleen said...

Wow, Shane, that is exactly how I feel. I've always had a hard time doing the Santa thing, but I've done it because I almost feel like I "have" to. I don't want my kids to be the only ones not to believe in Santa, but at the same time I don't want to lie to them. How can they know the difference betweenthe stories about Santa and the stories about Jesus if we tell them both of them are real? When Mindy's asked me if santa is real, I've said, "well, what do you think?" I don't want to dash all her hopes and dreams, but at the same time, I can't tell her a lie. I think Zoe and Lila are old enough to know. I don't think I was much older than them when I found out, and it must be a nice burden off your chest. Maybe I'll do the same thing if they ask me this year....

I think it is a good thing to have them keep the secret though.

Kim N said...

My oldest knows now and I have told her not to ruin it for any of her friends or siblings. She is a practical girl and asked me about the Easter bunny last year and I was upfront with her so that lead to asking about Santa. I think she has really known for the last two years, but played along.

I participate and set things up to make it fun for the kids. Santa always writes a long letter to my kids to read Christmas morning. He always mentions the real meaning of Christmas and I am sure the kids have picked up a bit on my tone in the way the letter is written.

Santa doesn't give the best gifts at our house. I want my kids to appreciate and take care of their nice things and I think they will do that better if they know it is from Brett and I and it was a sacrifice. Santa fills their socks, usually gives a book or two, a game for the family, sometimes a puzzle, and then one or two of the smaller things from their list. The electronics and cool stuff comes from us. :)

On the other hand, we do still have fun with it. I think as the kids find out the truth it will be fun for them to play along for the younger ones and maybe even help out on Christmas Eve! (if I'm lucky!)

I don't think there is anything wrong with telling your kids the truth. You have to do what feels right for your family! It is good you tell them to keep it to themselves though or you might have some angry friends! :)

On a side note, I have a friend who really plays up all of the Holiday traditions. Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny. When I told her I wasn't big on the whole Easter Bunny thing she said, "Well, make sure that your kids know not to say a word to mine about it. My kids would be devastated!" This is the same friend who the week before had said in a laughing manner, "Well, my daughter just had a very detailed lesson on the birds and the bees so don't be surprised if she says something to your kids." (hers and mine were in kindergarten at the time) Talk about telling your kids to keep something to themselves! I told myself if her daughter "taught" my kids things I wasn't ready for them to know her kids might have to get a little lesson on fairy tales. (I wouldn't really, but come on!)

Adam Ellis said...

The thing that I like most about Santa is that when the kids think he is coming, or they see him at the mall, or he comes to a party, etc. they get SO excited! It is fun to see the kids so excited, and anything that brings in some extra (innocent) enjoyment in their lives is OK with me. In fact, I welcome it.

We make sure the big gifts are from us so that they don't think they have an unlimited number of gifts they can ask Santa for, but just the thought of getting something from a magical person is exciting for them.

The Jesus/Santa argument is fine and all, but to me they are different things. Jesus is not "magic" and we don't tell our kids that he is. Jesus is serious business; Santa is not. Jesus adds reverence and emotion to Christmas, and Santa adds enjoyment and magic.

It is true that I always wanted to be Santa when I was younger, but I was not devastated when I learned that he is not real. I took it as it came and enjoyed "being Santa" for other people after I knew about it. I think/hope my kids will take it the same way. I still enjoy being Santa.

Like most people, we do not say that Santa is real. We ask the same question as most of you: "Well, what do you think?" The kids will enjoy the magic until they are ready to be done with it, and at that point they will know.

So, as Shelli requested. Please tell them once again to not mention it to others. I enjoy the magic and excitement that it brings to our kids, and having it end abruptly (before they actually want to know) would be a bit sad.

Shane Ellis said...

Wow, those are some good responses! I think I win the award for longest comments received for a blog post. I am glad I am not the only one that feels the way I do about Santa Coleen. It seems most of you are able to enjoy it though and that is good. I have never really been able to feel like I do a good job balancing the fun, but I can see how it could be fun for those of you that can do it. I wish I could, but somehow just can't make it work for me. So thank you all for the comments.

I will tell the kids again not to spill the beans to others, but if they happen to, at least I can console myself with the fact that they are almost certainly not the first kids to have told them that they don't think Santa is real.

your mother, who loves you. said...

Well, this is the "mama" who made up all the stories, that convinced you of all the nonsense. And I apologize if it hurt you in any way. It was not my intent.
I was so excited to have you all, as my little ones, and I loved making you happy. Seeing you surprised, and full of wonder was a large part of my life as a mother. It was not just Christmas, remember, but all of the special days. And I tried very hard to separate the things that were spiritual from the parts that were for fun. I cannot say I never thought twice about all of "what you now call the deception", but I made my decision based on the fact.... that... if our church, the only true church that had as much of the truth that God allowed for now, was okay with it all.... then so was I. I asked many a leader their thoughts. I prayed a lot about it. And I can tell you, Son... that if you have harbored hard feelings about any of it, then perhaps you have not yet met the REAL SANTA CLAUS. You heard the "truth" in a way that closed down your love of all I had done, rather than remembering and saying..."of my Gosh.. My Mom was amazing."
So I am going to tell you, in that same tone of voice that has always told you the truth... Your H. Father is very real. The Savior is very real. The church is True. And I love you. And if you really want to know, there is no one much more real to our lives than Santa. It is the idea, the myth, the magic... that makes him so real. I could have never done alone, what happened for all of those years on Christmas. Santa was so very real to me, and to the way I knew miracles happened at that time of year. You can give it any other name. help from friends or strangers, or charity programs.... but if that is not Santa, I don't know what is.
As I told you kids the hard truth of the story of Santa, it did not change the magic in any way. But it was then supposed to let you in on the most fun you could participate in for your younger siblings, from that point on. And from speaking to most of you kids, I feel it did just that.
How you carry on traditions in your own created family is up to you, as for me and mine here.... We all believe.